PHILLIPS de PURY & COMPANY
PHILLIPS AUCTIONEERS, founded in 1796 by Harry Phillips, was selling some of the most important collections in Europe in the beginning of the 19th century, including Queen Marie-Antoinette’s. Owned since 1999 by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, PHILLIPS merged with de Pury & Luxembourg Art in 2001.
PHILLIPS, de PURY & LUXEMBOURG is headquartered in New York. This auction house has been involved in sales of Impressionist, Modern, Contemporary, American and Swiss art, Jewellery and Watches, French and Continental furniture, 20th-21st Century Design Art, and Photographs. The firm maintains salerooms in New York and Geneva, a gallery and saleroom in Zurich, and offices in various cities around the world.
IN THEIR OWN WORDS:
Phillips was founded in London in 1796 by Harry Phillips formerly senior clerk to James Christie. During his first year of business, Phillips conducted 12 successful auctions and soon the business was holding sales for some of the most distinguished collectors of the day including Marie Antoinette, Beau Brummel and Napoleon.
To win business, Phillips combined business acumen with a flair for showmanship introducing new ways to promote his sales such as elaborate evening receptions before auctions-an essential part of the auction business today. Phillips quickly gained the confidence of the British aristocracy and remains the only auction house ever to have held a sale inside Buckingham Palace.
When he died in 1840, Harry Phillips' son, William Augustus inherited the strong and successful legacy and business. In 1879, William changed the firm's name to Messrs Phillips & Son and then in 1882, William brought his son-in-law, Frederick Neale into the business and the company was renamed again as Phillips, Son & Neale. This name remained through the 19th Century up until the 1970s when the company became Phillips. The company had a reputation for strong regional salerooms dotted throughout The British Isles. Phillips sold everything from furniture, curiosities, art, armour, coins and estate collections.
In 1999, the company was bought by Bernard Arnault, the chairman of the French luxury good brand, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessey (LVMH). Shortly after the transaction, Mr. Arnault merged with the esteemed private art dealers, Simon de Pury and Daniela Luxembourg who were operating the Impressionist and Modern art gallery, de Pury & Luxembourg in Zurich. The new team at Phillips, de Pury & Luxembourg with headquarters on East 57th street held sales in Impressionist, American and Modern works of art in addition to watches and jewelry and design.
In 2002, de Pury & Luxembourg took majority control of the company and in 2003, Simon de Pury moved the headquarters to the Meatpacking district in Chelsea which at the time was just beginning to sprout as the international art district. With a new remit to focus solely on the sale of the best works of Contemporary Art, Design, Jewelry and Photography, Phillips de Pury & Company began business in the spectacular and spacious gallery setting on 15th Street overlooking the celebrated Highline railway and Hudson River. It is in this space today, where Simon de Pury, his partners and team of specialists are dedicated to the company's unique approach to the auction market.
Visit PHILLIPS, de PURY & COMPANY at: http://www.phillipsdepury.com//